May 5, 2009

Feed: Visual

Okay, so I walked to the library to do this essay since my net's down :( I know. Sad. Okay. I only have an hour on ths computer so let's get started! :D


Each of the pictures that I chose below show that we consume way more than what we actually need. We don't need 15 pairs of the same shoe except in different colors. We don't need any of them. We think that it's necessary to have all of these things but you shouldn't take more than you need. These pictures show how our world is changing. How technology is changing over the years and how we are adapting to it. (Spending so much money on useless things.) We're letting the media take control of us by deciding what's in style, what's the "next big thing" and so on. My message is to simply give people a slap of reality across their face. C'mon people. Must you really have a Coach purse just because that cute boy's girlfriend does? You're really willing to pay that much for a purse that only fits around your wrist? We try to "fit in" by wasting money on something we'll only use/ wear once. Being a consumer, we're always waiting for the newest styles/ technology to go on sale so that we can rush there, buy it and be the first to have it. Sure, everyone has that iPOD but you can get that mp3 player for half that price. Why not get the mp3 player instead? Because it's not "popular". People will laugh at you because you got something cheap. That's what you're thinking, right? Who cares?! You shouldn't think of what others think of you. That's another problem. Consuming way more than what's needed because you're trying to impress others. Because you care so much about other people's opinions that you go out of your budget to try to impress them. Yeah, they'll ooh and ahh at you and maybe even say that you're rich for a few days until someone else with something even better comes along. How long did you think your instant fame will last? There's a lot of issues due to technology and how we consume are based on these issues. It's all a circle.

I'm an only child so I basically got whatever I wanted. I would get things that I didn't even ask for. I took advantage of everything around me. I was spoiled and watever I wanted, my parents can't tell me "No". Even if they did, all I had to do was fake a cry and I'd get it my way. But ever since my parent's split, money has become a problem and so it opened my eyes to what's really considered a need. I no longer have a closet full of clothes I'll only wear once. I don't have 9 pairs of shoes. I don't have a lot of things my friends have but that's okay because saving money for something useful is better than spending money on something in style at the moment that'll be out of date later on.













1 comment:

  1. I went through this faze once also,Guess I was self conscious at the time and thought that new clothes and sneakers were the answer but I was wrong, Now (no lie) I have over 50 pairs of sneakers that I never wore and countless clothes worn less than a handful of times. All for what ? Im just glad I matured and that chapter is closed.

    ReplyDelete