May 26, 2009

Persepolis 2

8.) Marji and every other women in the book didn't like the idea of wearing a veil. She wasn't happy with the thought of covering her hair. To wear a veil is to "protect women from all the potential rapists...wearing the veil is obligatory... women's hair emanate's rays that excite men." (pg. 74) Religion but mostly the government seems to be in the way of people's freedom. The citizens are a bit rebellious though. They have parties with alcohol, Marji's mother refuses to wear her veil and so on. All the citizens tried to have a normal party by celebrating a new born baby but as soon as they heard the sirens, the mother left the newborn baby in Marji's arms.

9.) Marji wore her latest model of Nikes and her denim jacket with the Michael Jackson button. If I had grown up in this kind of environment, I don't think I would've had the courage to do what Marji does. I'd probably be a scaredy cat and wear my veil everyday and obey as the government orders. I wouldn't want to risk my chances of being caught adn put into jail. Maybe I'd do somethng bad here and there, but not likely. As a teen, I've done a lot of things that I regret doing. I say that I'll learn from my mistakes but I seem to make the same mistake twice. There's just something about doing something bad. You know that it's wrong but there's that tingling sensation of satisfaction that you want to feel. Maybe I just like that adrenaline rush? Satrapi is a normal kid because I mean c'mon, who hasn't tried smoking once? Who hasn't gone against what their parents want? She's just a rebellious as teens these days.

11.) Marji's family is full of love. Although their life seems to be getting harder and harder to live due to the war, they still stick together through it all. Marji's parents bring back posters, Nikes, and a denim jacket for Marji when they came back from their trip although all those things are forbidden. They want Marji to be happy and they're both trying to be strong for her. They don't push Marji into doing what she doesn't want. When the teacher called her parents in because Marji said that she wanted to become a prophet, her parents weren't worry at all. (pg. 8) They were fine with their daughter's choice of becoming a prophet. I feel like both parents got their strength from the war. The war changed how they want their daughter to live. They don't want their daughter to be suffering a life like theirs in a country whose at war and so they let their daughter experience new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment